Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Serb. Monitoring  >  Current Article

Police arrest attackers on two Albanians in Serbia (Serbian media)

By   /  09/10/2018  /  Comments Off on Police arrest attackers on two Albanians in Serbia (Serbian media)

    Print       Email

Serbia’s Interior Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic said on Tuesday that police from the northern city of Novi Sad arrested four people suspected of attacking two young Albanians over the weekend, N1 reported.

Stefanovic said that police found the clothing the suspects wore at the night of the attack, adding that that was important for the further investigation.

The Minister has said that the interrogations, including talks with one of the injured Albanians, have not indicated that the incident was on a national basis, but added police “will investigate all reports and reveal the truth.”

Yesterday all Serbian media reported on the unknown perpetrators heavily beating up two young ethnic Albanians, citing the organisation of Albanians from Serbia’s northern city of Novi Sad.

“A group of four people attacked the two men, both born in 1999, without any obvious reason except that they heard them speaking in Albanian,” the organisation said.

President of Serbia Aleksandar Vucic demanded from the Interior Ministry to find the attackers and “punish them most severely.”

“We are not savages… No one should attack anyone only because they are Albanians. All our citizens must have equal legal protection,” Vucic said on Monday.

Union of Albanians in Serbia leader Demo Berisha visited one of the two Albanian youths in hospital with Vojvodina Provincial Health Secretary Zoran Gojkovic who said the young man was moved from the intensive care unit and is no longer on the critical list while the second Albanian had been released after medical treatment.

Berisha told reporters after the visit that he believes this was an isolated incident.

“This was an act of vandalism and should not be exaggerated. According to what the second young man told me they were assaulted for speaking Albanian following an earlier incident in which they were not involved,” he said, adding that the two youths were victims of the earlier fight, reported regional broadcaster N1.

    Print       Email

You might also like...

Montenegrin language school in Pristina banned (Gracanicaonline.info)

Read More →